Skip to main content

THIS THING OF OURS

TYPEWRITER RAGE
This thing of ours; this Arsenal supporting, it brings out a host of bloggers, tweeters, Podcasters, Vloggers and assorted comment makers (of which i am one). I believe that the Arsenal have some intelligent, witty and informed people putting their views out there. Certainly compared to some of the output I have come across from supporters of other teams.
What I am noticing though, is an increase in the number of expressed views that seem to be in the ‘treading water’ camp. That is to say a general acknowledgement that we are in troubled waters but a  reluctance to splash the face with water and face up to facts.
There is of course a line between out and out abuse and an acceptance of fair criticism. Each Arsenal supporter is entitled to an opinion and there is no capo regime at play; we are all equal.
Is Arsenal football Club 2011/12 equipped to challenge for honours? Is the club in the hands of the best man for the job? Is the squad good enough? Have arsenal got worse over the last half decade? Regular readers will know my answers.

These are all fair questions. These leave aside issues of finance, The Stadium VFM on a match day, commercial views and other sundry matters.
For me these questions cut to the heart of the matter.

Notice I am not abusing anyone, nor am I saying that I have a better, more informed opinion; but I do have an opinion. It seems to me that should you deviate from certain points of view you are castigated.
Let’s not be like the followers of other clubs. Using the keyboard as a weapon. Let’s respect the views of those Arsenal supporters who go out of there way to put discussion out there. Let’s not forget that its about love of the Arsenal first and foremost; that’s why I continue to put my two bob’s worth out there.

Comments

  1. Just did a quick calculation.

    Obviously much can happen in the season, for better and for worse.

    With the seven games already played W2 D1 L4, reaping 7 points

    extrapolated over the season's 38 league games we could be looking at 38pts -

    which is the relogation zone.

    You can talk and hope and dream and spin but form and facts is real.

    Stefan M

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Dein was reputed to be in the Spurs directors box yesterday... he maybe a bit slippery and smug but he's what the club needs before a new manager. In my humble opinion that it is

    Mick M

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

so I said...

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons to be cheerful?

So November arrives with cold weather and grey skies. Arsenal sit in 2 nd place with a great chance to make progress in the Carling Cup with a home draw against wigan Athletic. Poised to win   our Champions league group and with six months of the season left have 3 of our five tougher away fixtures out of the way, having taken a respectable 4 from 9. I say respectable as, the Man City away trip aside the draw at Anfield on the occasion of Hodgson’s first game was a good result and the Chelsea game I don’t think anyone can really speak of any injustice. That leaves away games at Old Trafford and Sp*rs (who as we know raise their game for this fixture). With injured players gradually returning and the Polish goalkeepers showing signs of optimism, we’re in relatively good shape. Or so you’d think. Yesterday at the Emirates West Ham were put to the sword late on after some stout defending, a good performance from Robert Green and a couple of missed opportunities. The level of indign...

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark

A number of blogs are pointing out what was evident to me yesterday; as a season ticket holder and Silver member i like thousands of others made plans to purchase an additional ticket for the Barcelona game using the frustrating and irritating online service, but guess what? no joy, just lots of waiting finger tapping and watching the dreaded 'loading' bar (to make matters worse I had asked my missus to do this as I was doing training). But no one got these additional tickets, that is no supporters judging by the general feedback! It seems to me that the additional seats will have probably gone to customers of a corporate nature. Ultimately for such a marquee (to use an American commercialism term) game I suspect that the club where never going to sell to supporters of the club, there is clearly a undercurrent at the Emirates that the club wants to have the stadium full of customers ie; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognvWIwjKTQ The Emirates of the future? It will be interesti...

PERSONALITY TEST

Played 23, 10 defeats, 4 draws and 9 victories; that's the factual bit out of the way. What does that tell us? I guess it is a set of statistics that reasonably reflect a mid table team. How we got here is something that countless column inches and hours of debate have gone into. How we move forward is the bigger question. Naturally, learning from past mistakes is a key element to moving forward but have Arsenal Football Club done that? Have Arsenal Football Club realised that a clear vision and plan is needed? When you look at the current squad its relatively easy to see where the strenghts are, and the weaknesses. The manager too, has strengths and weaknesses but one thing that is intangible is the personality of the club. Not so much "where are we" as "what are we?" To know what the club is is to know what the upper echelons think, what their plan and philosophy is and how the manager processes  that information. We can assume that the club decision makers wa...