Skip to main content

AFC NYE


Strange one this; Arsenal V QPR New Years Eve 3:00. Now I love a Boxing day  game at home, it's a great way to get out of the house and get some fresh air then grudgingly restart the process of imbibing, knowing that you can have a nap later. There's a certain atmosphere about these games and the refreshing blast of cold air is envigorating following a Christmas day of over indulgence. I quite like a New Years Day game at home; it's a good excuse to take it a bit steadier on NYE and it's good for cobweb clearing.
As for New Year's Eve, odd is what I think. Doubtless a good number of attendees are off out later so by 5:45 a post match drink (which is hard to refuse given the time of year) is wrought with danger; danger of peaking early, danger of rushing around.There is alson a danger that those of us who dread New Years eve celebrations are even more depressed due to a home loss.
I remember playing Villa and drawing on New Years Eve which was okay as it was a pretty good game, but still. I also recall beating the Hammers on New Years Eve which still was a bit odd.
The other thing about the end of the year is that we will have said goodbye to a not particularly memorable year, we will also have played the away fixtures that are always tricky at WHL Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge so reason for optimism in 2012? I hope so.
This New Year period is a London Derby double header with the soothing visit to Fulham on the 2nd January providing a silver linning. of course SKY Tv are the architects of strange kick offs and I suppose we should all be used to it but stil: New Years Eve?

Merry New Year?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons to be cheerful?

So November arrives with cold weather and grey skies. Arsenal sit in 2 nd place with a great chance to make progress in the Carling Cup with a home draw against wigan Athletic. Poised to win   our Champions league group and with six months of the season left have 3 of our five tougher away fixtures out of the way, having taken a respectable 4 from 9. I say respectable as, the Man City away trip aside the draw at Anfield on the occasion of Hodgson’s first game was a good result and the Chelsea game I don’t think anyone can really speak of any injustice. That leaves away games at Old Trafford and Sp*rs (who as we know raise their game for this fixture). With injured players gradually returning and the Polish goalkeepers showing signs of optimism, we’re in relatively good shape. Or so you’d think. Yesterday at the Emirates West Ham were put to the sword late on after some stout defending, a good performance from Robert Green and a couple of missed opportunities. The level of indign...

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark

A number of blogs are pointing out what was evident to me yesterday; as a season ticket holder and Silver member i like thousands of others made plans to purchase an additional ticket for the Barcelona game using the frustrating and irritating online service, but guess what? no joy, just lots of waiting finger tapping and watching the dreaded 'loading' bar (to make matters worse I had asked my missus to do this as I was doing training). But no one got these additional tickets, that is no supporters judging by the general feedback! It seems to me that the additional seats will have probably gone to customers of a corporate nature. Ultimately for such a marquee (to use an American commercialism term) game I suspect that the club where never going to sell to supporters of the club, there is clearly a undercurrent at the Emirates that the club wants to have the stadium full of customers ie; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognvWIwjKTQ The Emirates of the future? It will be interesti...

PERSONALITY TEST

Played 23, 10 defeats, 4 draws and 9 victories; that's the factual bit out of the way. What does that tell us? I guess it is a set of statistics that reasonably reflect a mid table team. How we got here is something that countless column inches and hours of debate have gone into. How we move forward is the bigger question. Naturally, learning from past mistakes is a key element to moving forward but have Arsenal Football Club done that? Have Arsenal Football Club realised that a clear vision and plan is needed? When you look at the current squad its relatively easy to see where the strenghts are, and the weaknesses. The manager too, has strengths and weaknesses but one thing that is intangible is the personality of the club. Not so much "where are we" as "what are we?" To know what the club is is to know what the upper echelons think, what their plan and philosophy is and how the manager processes  that information. We can assume that the club decision makers wa...