Skip to main content

TALKSENSE RADIO ?


Those imbecilic Arsenal bashers at Talksport have actually come up with an article that I find hard to disagree with. As was reported in the Current Bun a 'disgruntled' fan wrote to Wenger with some salient observations and questions. The writer appeared on Talksport and what he had written was reasonable and well thought out.
He then gave permission for the station to print Wenger's (or his PR's) response and have wittily 'translated' it. Yes I never thought I would say this but I agree with the station of the White Van man; that in itself is a sad indictment. So here, with acknowledgement to said station and the bloke wot wrote the original letter are the Wenger Words
 
"A letter from Arsene Wenger to a disgruntled Arsenal fan appeared in The Sun, with the French gaffer giving his defence of Arsenal's performances last season.

Read extracts of Wenger's words below, along with translated versions of what the Arsenal boss would possibly like to say, but can't:

Arsene Wenger: "Thank you for your letter and your observations which have been noted and I certainly take your comments on board."
Translation: "Nothing you wrote will change anything about the way I manage Arsenal."

Arsene Wenger: "In contrast to some of our competitors at home and abroad it is true Arsenal has, in the interests of its financial stability and independence, operated under the discipline of a self-sustaining model. I believe this is the best route to sustainable long-term on-field success."
Translation: "The people who own Arsenal are more concerned with making a profit than winning trophies."

Arsene Wenger: "Our target was to build a new stadium without dropping from the top. We knew it would be a difficult period for four or five years."
Translation:  "After six years without a trophy, we have failed miserably."

Arsene Wenger: "We have shown that we have the technical quality to win the league but certainly not the defensive solidity to do it."
Translation: "We play pretty football but our defending is so embarrassingly poor I pretend to be visually impaired to save face."

Arsene Wenger: "We are frustrated and disappointed but we should not go overboard. We just have to rectify things in the areas that we need to improve."
Translation: "We must pray for divine intervention. This is our only hope now."

Arsene Wenger: "I felt they lost confidence and you can see that there has not been the same sharpness on the mental front."
Translation: "I felt they bottled it towards the end of the season and you can see that they are mentally weak. We are spineless."

Arsene Wenger: "You never want to forget anything because it is also the season that we produced our best games ever."
Translation: "How did we beat Barcelona at the Emirates but lose to west Brom and Newcastle?”

Arsene Wenger: "In decisive moments we have never had the whole team together."
Translation: "I'm now clutching at straws, can you tell?"

Arsene Wenger: "I don't know how much we have spent in recent years. We will try to buy the right players."
Translation: "I'm fully aware we have spent very little in recent years. We can't afford the best players in the world."

Arsene Wenger: "We will spend the needed money but you first have to find the right players and then turn up with the money."
Translation: "We will pretend to be responsible with money because we are not in a position to spend a significant amount."

Arsene Wenger: "Of course, the economic situation is difficult for people and for us as well."
Translation: "We don't have the money."

Arsene Wenger: "We have enough quality to beat anyone in the world, even with our current squad."
Translation: "We lack consistency, but don't expect many new signings in the summer."

Arsene Wenger: "Maybe one year people will realise it is not easy to finish in the top four every time."
Translation: "If we finish fourth next season, it will represent a magnificent achievement for this football club. But please, don't be surprised if we finish anywhere between fifth and tenth."

Arsene Wenger: "I wish you a pleasant summer and thank you again for taking the time to write and for your comments."
Translation: "Stop wasting your time writing pointless letters, cancel your summer holidays and renew your season ticket immediately. I need a few quid to buy another 17 year-old prospect on the cheap."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons to be cheerful?

So November arrives with cold weather and grey skies. Arsenal sit in 2 nd place with a great chance to make progress in the Carling Cup with a home draw against wigan Athletic. Poised to win   our Champions league group and with six months of the season left have 3 of our five tougher away fixtures out of the way, having taken a respectable 4 from 9. I say respectable as, the Man City away trip aside the draw at Anfield on the occasion of Hodgson’s first game was a good result and the Chelsea game I don’t think anyone can really speak of any injustice. That leaves away games at Old Trafford and Sp*rs (who as we know raise their game for this fixture). With injured players gradually returning and the Polish goalkeepers showing signs of optimism, we’re in relatively good shape. Or so you’d think. Yesterday at the Emirates West Ham were put to the sword late on after some stout defending, a good performance from Robert Green and a couple of missed opportunities. The level of indign...

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark

A number of blogs are pointing out what was evident to me yesterday; as a season ticket holder and Silver member i like thousands of others made plans to purchase an additional ticket for the Barcelona game using the frustrating and irritating online service, but guess what? no joy, just lots of waiting finger tapping and watching the dreaded 'loading' bar (to make matters worse I had asked my missus to do this as I was doing training). But no one got these additional tickets, that is no supporters judging by the general feedback! It seems to me that the additional seats will have probably gone to customers of a corporate nature. Ultimately for such a marquee (to use an American commercialism term) game I suspect that the club where never going to sell to supporters of the club, there is clearly a undercurrent at the Emirates that the club wants to have the stadium full of customers ie; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognvWIwjKTQ The Emirates of the future? It will be interesti...

PERSONALITY TEST

Played 23, 10 defeats, 4 draws and 9 victories; that's the factual bit out of the way. What does that tell us? I guess it is a set of statistics that reasonably reflect a mid table team. How we got here is something that countless column inches and hours of debate have gone into. How we move forward is the bigger question. Naturally, learning from past mistakes is a key element to moving forward but have Arsenal Football Club done that? Have Arsenal Football Club realised that a clear vision and plan is needed? When you look at the current squad its relatively easy to see where the strenghts are, and the weaknesses. The manager too, has strengths and weaknesses but one thing that is intangible is the personality of the club. Not so much "where are we" as "what are we?" To know what the club is is to know what the upper echelons think, what their plan and philosophy is and how the manager processes  that information. We can assume that the club decision makers wa...