Skip to main content

"Get them to sign on the line that is dotted"

 
"Always Be Closing"

Renewal time came and went and like many other addicts I committed my body mind and cheque book to the cause for another season. Yes I ummed and ahhed about it. I cogitated and deliberated but deep down I knew I would pay up. Why would I, a person who sees so many negatives at AFC, stump up £1300 to put myself through 10 months of aggravation? There's always that optimism that this time, this time, it might work out alright. This time it may be magnificent. This time it could be our year. This time…

No salesmen needed to cold call, no being stopped in the street no hard sell at all; just pay by the dealine or miss out on what might be.

I find myself thinking that 2011-2012 I will go to each game with lower, more humble expectations. I will adopt the guise of a Dagenham & Redbridge supporter and be glad to win the odd game, not get angry or upset at setbacks. This best laid plan will, of course, go right out the window once we get underway. I will then become obsessive and wrapped up in the detail. I will expect victory and achievement, I will begin to believe. The reality is more prosaic though, it’s mostly about putting up with things, accepting the inevitability of defeat. It really is a trial supporting Arsenal, and I would imagine most teams, a trial that we pay heavily to take part in.

The football landscape will be different. The premier League will see sides such as Man City and Liverpool gaining momentum. Manchester United will move forward propelled by Ferguson’s obsession, Chelsea will forge ahead under the expectations and Euros of Abramovich. The truth of Barcelona’s dominance will result in European sides looking to compete. Sides like Milan, Bayern and Real will all be trying to regain the upper hand. By the same taken the premier League’s lesser lights will see how successful Stoke were in playing that brand of football and, in the reality of staying up at all costs make every league game difficult. It is in this environment that Arsenal have to adapt or die.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons to be cheerful?

So November arrives with cold weather and grey skies. Arsenal sit in 2 nd place with a great chance to make progress in the Carling Cup with a home draw against wigan Athletic. Poised to win   our Champions league group and with six months of the season left have 3 of our five tougher away fixtures out of the way, having taken a respectable 4 from 9. I say respectable as, the Man City away trip aside the draw at Anfield on the occasion of Hodgson’s first game was a good result and the Chelsea game I don’t think anyone can really speak of any injustice. That leaves away games at Old Trafford and Sp*rs (who as we know raise their game for this fixture). With injured players gradually returning and the Polish goalkeepers showing signs of optimism, we’re in relatively good shape. Or so you’d think. Yesterday at the Emirates West Ham were put to the sword late on after some stout defending, a good performance from Robert Green and a couple of missed opportunities. The level of indign...

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark

A number of blogs are pointing out what was evident to me yesterday; as a season ticket holder and Silver member i like thousands of others made plans to purchase an additional ticket for the Barcelona game using the frustrating and irritating online service, but guess what? no joy, just lots of waiting finger tapping and watching the dreaded 'loading' bar (to make matters worse I had asked my missus to do this as I was doing training). But no one got these additional tickets, that is no supporters judging by the general feedback! It seems to me that the additional seats will have probably gone to customers of a corporate nature. Ultimately for such a marquee (to use an American commercialism term) game I suspect that the club where never going to sell to supporters of the club, there is clearly a undercurrent at the Emirates that the club wants to have the stadium full of customers ie; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognvWIwjKTQ The Emirates of the future? It will be interesti...

PERSONALITY TEST

Played 23, 10 defeats, 4 draws and 9 victories; that's the factual bit out of the way. What does that tell us? I guess it is a set of statistics that reasonably reflect a mid table team. How we got here is something that countless column inches and hours of debate have gone into. How we move forward is the bigger question. Naturally, learning from past mistakes is a key element to moving forward but have Arsenal Football Club done that? Have Arsenal Football Club realised that a clear vision and plan is needed? When you look at the current squad its relatively easy to see where the strenghts are, and the weaknesses. The manager too, has strengths and weaknesses but one thing that is intangible is the personality of the club. Not so much "where are we" as "what are we?" To know what the club is is to know what the upper echelons think, what their plan and philosophy is and how the manager processes  that information. We can assume that the club decision makers wa...