Skip to main content

Sunderland

Sunderland

At home to Sunderland is a more important game than Tuesdays at the Nou camp or Saturdays at Old Trafford. That’s my opinion, and I’m sticking to it.

In this most mediocre of Premiership seasons we find our self having lost five games yet 90 minutes away from closing the gap on league leaders Man Utd to 1 point.; an opportunity that we have to take. Given that we play Man Utd at the Emirates later this season, it would put the destination of the title in our hands.Let's just not let Sunderland stick a spoke in the works of our premmiership ambition.

The ECL is a different kettle of fish. As I posted a couple of weeks ago I believed that our best XI could prevail against Barca, that view has been tempered by the loss of Walcott and more importantly Van Persie. The doubts over Song, Fabregas and Koscielny don’t help, but I have not thought that this season we were good enough to actually win the thing. I still feel this even if our underdog status enables us to triumph in Catalonia.

As for the FA cup; we could see Wenger make another one of his clever clogs selections for the trip to Old Trafford with predictable results. Who knows? I certainly don’t, all I do know is that if he sticks with Almunia as our ‘FA Cup keeper’ any disasters that might happen have a far greater chance of doing so.

So it’s all about beating the Black Cats on Saturday and let’s face it if the Liverpool hype machine is in full effect on Sunday we could be looking at a fruitful weekend, but with Arsenal you never can tell!

the sunderland parlance

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons to be cheerful?

So November arrives with cold weather and grey skies. Arsenal sit in 2 nd place with a great chance to make progress in the Carling Cup with a home draw against wigan Athletic. Poised to win   our Champions league group and with six months of the season left have 3 of our five tougher away fixtures out of the way, having taken a respectable 4 from 9. I say respectable as, the Man City away trip aside the draw at Anfield on the occasion of Hodgson’s first game was a good result and the Chelsea game I don’t think anyone can really speak of any injustice. That leaves away games at Old Trafford and Sp*rs (who as we know raise their game for this fixture). With injured players gradually returning and the Polish goalkeepers showing signs of optimism, we’re in relatively good shape. Or so you’d think. Yesterday at the Emirates West Ham were put to the sword late on after some stout defending, a good performance from Robert Green and a couple of missed opportunities. The level of indign...

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark

A number of blogs are pointing out what was evident to me yesterday; as a season ticket holder and Silver member i like thousands of others made plans to purchase an additional ticket for the Barcelona game using the frustrating and irritating online service, but guess what? no joy, just lots of waiting finger tapping and watching the dreaded 'loading' bar (to make matters worse I had asked my missus to do this as I was doing training). But no one got these additional tickets, that is no supporters judging by the general feedback! It seems to me that the additional seats will have probably gone to customers of a corporate nature. Ultimately for such a marquee (to use an American commercialism term) game I suspect that the club where never going to sell to supporters of the club, there is clearly a undercurrent at the Emirates that the club wants to have the stadium full of customers ie; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognvWIwjKTQ The Emirates of the future? It will be interesti...

PERSONALITY TEST

Played 23, 10 defeats, 4 draws and 9 victories; that's the factual bit out of the way. What does that tell us? I guess it is a set of statistics that reasonably reflect a mid table team. How we got here is something that countless column inches and hours of debate have gone into. How we move forward is the bigger question. Naturally, learning from past mistakes is a key element to moving forward but have Arsenal Football Club done that? Have Arsenal Football Club realised that a clear vision and plan is needed? When you look at the current squad its relatively easy to see where the strenghts are, and the weaknesses. The manager too, has strengths and weaknesses but one thing that is intangible is the personality of the club. Not so much "where are we" as "what are we?" To know what the club is is to know what the upper echelons think, what their plan and philosophy is and how the manager processes  that information. We can assume that the club decision makers wa...