Skip to main content

Who loves ya baby?


So Theo gets excluded from the England World cup squad, and the so called experts rejoice and rub their hands with glee. For some time now there appears to have been an orchestrated campaign within the inner sanctum of pundits to have a pop at this decent young man. It’s shameful, the amount of schadenfreude that has been exhibited as a result of Cappelo’s choice not to take Theo to the England jolly boys outing in SA.

I can see why Capello has made the decision, obviously Theo hasn’t had an affair with a team mate’s Ex, or spent a night with a senior citizen prostitute, or failed to complete a drugs test nor has he the ability to do the robot or go to night clubs and piss up the counter. Theo has also neglected to cheat on his partner (twice) or decide he doesn’t want to play for England then change his mind. Theo is also guilty of having a better international strike rate than Emille Heskey and not having the bling accoutrements of the Sp*rs contingent. I also understand he’s rubbish at doing the Robot.

Those of you who have read arsenalism before know that I hold the current set of England players, by and large, with barely concealed contempt. Watching their limitations of expression on the pitch and arrogant lack of regard off of it makes mustering any enthusiasm to follow them at The World Cup an impossibility.

Part of me is glad that Theo is not going, and I don’t see much of a big deal about Capello making the decision; these things happen. The role that he has been given at Arsenal by the manager has virtually tied Theo’s hands and Fabio clearly feels he is looking for byline-reaching cross-hitting wide men.

What I object to is the way that such wilful malice is exhibited toward this articulate young man who just wants to play football.

In terms that may be clearly understood “Bollocks to them I say, bollocks to the lot of them”.

Comments

  1. Whilst I agree with your overall points on the England players, I believe that Theo is over rated, played out of position and has been badly let down by his club manager. Theo should have been left at Southampton after Arsenal bought him as he was developing well there. He has gone no where since his transfer, even if he has had injuries I think that they may have served to mask his deficiencies. Yes he has had games as a substitute where he made a difference but overall I do not believe that you can gamble taking him to a tournament where your limited to 23 players. I think that players like Milner, Wright-Phillips, J. Cole and even Lennon are quite rightly further up the current pecking order. The only positive for Theo will be that this may give him a nudge and he might just have to start proving his talent on a regular basis and dare I say stop being so awe-struck, perhaps he is one player that really needs to get an attitude?


    Captain Kirk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

so I said...

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons to be cheerful?

So November arrives with cold weather and grey skies. Arsenal sit in 2 nd place with a great chance to make progress in the Carling Cup with a home draw against wigan Athletic. Poised to win   our Champions league group and with six months of the season left have 3 of our five tougher away fixtures out of the way, having taken a respectable 4 from 9. I say respectable as, the Man City away trip aside the draw at Anfield on the occasion of Hodgson’s first game was a good result and the Chelsea game I don’t think anyone can really speak of any injustice. That leaves away games at Old Trafford and Sp*rs (who as we know raise their game for this fixture). With injured players gradually returning and the Polish goalkeepers showing signs of optimism, we’re in relatively good shape. Or so you’d think. Yesterday at the Emirates West Ham were put to the sword late on after some stout defending, a good performance from Robert Green and a couple of missed opportunities. The level of indign...

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark

A number of blogs are pointing out what was evident to me yesterday; as a season ticket holder and Silver member i like thousands of others made plans to purchase an additional ticket for the Barcelona game using the frustrating and irritating online service, but guess what? no joy, just lots of waiting finger tapping and watching the dreaded 'loading' bar (to make matters worse I had asked my missus to do this as I was doing training). But no one got these additional tickets, that is no supporters judging by the general feedback! It seems to me that the additional seats will have probably gone to customers of a corporate nature. Ultimately for such a marquee (to use an American commercialism term) game I suspect that the club where never going to sell to supporters of the club, there is clearly a undercurrent at the Emirates that the club wants to have the stadium full of customers ie; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognvWIwjKTQ The Emirates of the future? It will be interesti...

PERSONALITY TEST

Played 23, 10 defeats, 4 draws and 9 victories; that's the factual bit out of the way. What does that tell us? I guess it is a set of statistics that reasonably reflect a mid table team. How we got here is something that countless column inches and hours of debate have gone into. How we move forward is the bigger question. Naturally, learning from past mistakes is a key element to moving forward but have Arsenal Football Club done that? Have Arsenal Football Club realised that a clear vision and plan is needed? When you look at the current squad its relatively easy to see where the strenghts are, and the weaknesses. The manager too, has strengths and weaknesses but one thing that is intangible is the personality of the club. Not so much "where are we" as "what are we?" To know what the club is is to know what the upper echelons think, what their plan and philosophy is and how the manager processes  that information. We can assume that the club decision makers wa...