Skip to main content

Deadline day


Deadline day 1st June time for the multitudes, including yours truly, to pay up and shut up. That is clearly the case. The board are safe in the knowledge that there are enough die hard Arsenal supporters who will renew their Season tickets season after season no matter what. Add to that those who don’t want to give up a season ticket as the thought of going back to eighty thousand and first in the waiting list is unconscionable. There is also the group of supporters who are giving it ‘one more season’.


The season ticket is not just a seat in the stadium it’s a commitment to turning up week in week out until the final whistle. Or is it? Feeling under appreciated by the elite at the club and feeling sold short by Wenger’s lack of ambition and philosophical dead end causes the doubts that result in deadline day renewal. Leaving it until the last minute is a clear sign of apathy and resignation.

I parted with my hard earned money today knowing deep down that Carling Cup and FA Cup games would be a waste of time but hoping otherwise. Thinking that the best we can achieve are draws in the big games against Manchester United and Chelsea but considering the joy of taking 12points. Accepting that we will still be subjected to The Wonder Of You and Denilson / Diaby in midfield but wishfully thinking otherwise. Resigning myself to the fact that the summer ahead will not be one of major changes yet thinking perhaps 'you never know'.

So still I retain a seed of hope that The Arsenal will achieve something this time round despite of, not because of, our manager’s dogma.

I guess the bottom line goes back to a quote from Woody Allen in which, if you imagine the relationship we have with Arsenal, makes perfect sense;
“I thought of that old joke, y'know, the, this... this guy goes to a psychiatrist and says, "Doc, uh, my brother's crazy; he thinks he's a chicken." And, uh, the doctor says, "Well, why don't you turn him in?" The guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs." Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about relationships; y'know, they're totally irrational, and crazy, and absurd, and... but, uh, I guess we keep goin' through it because, uh, most of us... need the eggs.”


Comments

Post a Comment

so I said...

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons to be cheerful?

So November arrives with cold weather and grey skies. Arsenal sit in 2 nd place with a great chance to make progress in the Carling Cup with a home draw against wigan Athletic. Poised to win   our Champions league group and with six months of the season left have 3 of our five tougher away fixtures out of the way, having taken a respectable 4 from 9. I say respectable as, the Man City away trip aside the draw at Anfield on the occasion of Hodgson’s first game was a good result and the Chelsea game I don’t think anyone can really speak of any injustice. That leaves away games at Old Trafford and Sp*rs (who as we know raise their game for this fixture). With injured players gradually returning and the Polish goalkeepers showing signs of optimism, we’re in relatively good shape. Or so you’d think. Yesterday at the Emirates West Ham were put to the sword late on after some stout defending, a good performance from Robert Green and a couple of missed opportunities. The level of indign...

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark

A number of blogs are pointing out what was evident to me yesterday; as a season ticket holder and Silver member i like thousands of others made plans to purchase an additional ticket for the Barcelona game using the frustrating and irritating online service, but guess what? no joy, just lots of waiting finger tapping and watching the dreaded 'loading' bar (to make matters worse I had asked my missus to do this as I was doing training). But no one got these additional tickets, that is no supporters judging by the general feedback! It seems to me that the additional seats will have probably gone to customers of a corporate nature. Ultimately for such a marquee (to use an American commercialism term) game I suspect that the club where never going to sell to supporters of the club, there is clearly a undercurrent at the Emirates that the club wants to have the stadium full of customers ie; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognvWIwjKTQ The Emirates of the future? It will be interesti...

PERSONALITY TEST

Played 23, 10 defeats, 4 draws and 9 victories; that's the factual bit out of the way. What does that tell us? I guess it is a set of statistics that reasonably reflect a mid table team. How we got here is something that countless column inches and hours of debate have gone into. How we move forward is the bigger question. Naturally, learning from past mistakes is a key element to moving forward but have Arsenal Football Club done that? Have Arsenal Football Club realised that a clear vision and plan is needed? When you look at the current squad its relatively easy to see where the strenghts are, and the weaknesses. The manager too, has strengths and weaknesses but one thing that is intangible is the personality of the club. Not so much "where are we" as "what are we?" To know what the club is is to know what the upper echelons think, what their plan and philosophy is and how the manager processes  that information. We can assume that the club decision makers wa...