Skip to main content

HIBERNATION IN LIEU OF REVOLUTION


So I went to the Doctor and I said "Doctor, Doctor I'm feeling depressed, frustrated, lethargic and disillusioned" and he said to me: "You, Mr Arsenalism, are suffering from ennui...more specifically Arsenal ennui" 

Of course that exchange didn't actually happen but I have made my own diagnosis of my current malaise. I've had enough of all the peripherals, all the 'stuff' that accompanies my support and love of The Arsenal.

I'm going to keep it simple.

No more checking on NewsNow Arsenal, I'm not going to read Blogs: good, bad or indifferent, I'm abstaining from reading about Arsenal in the press, all Sports Radio presets are now erased and Sky Sports will remain unwatched outside of the first and last whistle of those Arsenal games I can't get to and I'm off Twitter.I'm going to remove myself from the civil wars of words amongst supporters of the Arsenal and I'm going to be free of social media influences (subliminal and otherwise).

I'm just going to support my local team.


The Arsenal are my local team. Being born and brought up in and around Upper Street, schooled at St Mary's off Essex Road and Highbury Grove Secondary (a stones throw from Highbury)The Arsenal have always been local.Having lived in various other parts of London I now live a twenty minute walk, or a hangover free seven minute bike ride, from the Emirates stadium. So yes, I support my local club and that's all I'm going to do from now on. Go to watch the Arsenal play for 90 minutes and watch the Arsenal on TV for 90 minutes with the sound off.

Amidst all the other paraphernalia I have become jaded and, quite frankly, fed up by the Arsenal circus, the Gunners hoop-la. I'm going to extricate myself from the near obsessive relationship and try to enjoy The Arsenal in  a simpler context.

I am a realist and therefore I have set myself a target date of my birthday to come out of my self imposed semi-hibernation.

When that day comes in three months I hope to have a different, purer relationship with my club and by definition be able to write this blog with more focus and clarity...and love.

See you all then. Arsenalism out.  
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons to be cheerful?

So November arrives with cold weather and grey skies. Arsenal sit in 2 nd place with a great chance to make progress in the Carling Cup with a home draw against wigan Athletic. Poised to win   our Champions league group and with six months of the season left have 3 of our five tougher away fixtures out of the way, having taken a respectable 4 from 9. I say respectable as, the Man City away trip aside the draw at Anfield on the occasion of Hodgson’s first game was a good result and the Chelsea game I don’t think anyone can really speak of any injustice. That leaves away games at Old Trafford and Sp*rs (who as we know raise their game for this fixture). With injured players gradually returning and the Polish goalkeepers showing signs of optimism, we’re in relatively good shape. Or so you’d think. Yesterday at the Emirates West Ham were put to the sword late on after some stout defending, a good performance from Robert Green and a couple of missed opportunities. The level of indign...

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark

A number of blogs are pointing out what was evident to me yesterday; as a season ticket holder and Silver member i like thousands of others made plans to purchase an additional ticket for the Barcelona game using the frustrating and irritating online service, but guess what? no joy, just lots of waiting finger tapping and watching the dreaded 'loading' bar (to make matters worse I had asked my missus to do this as I was doing training). But no one got these additional tickets, that is no supporters judging by the general feedback! It seems to me that the additional seats will have probably gone to customers of a corporate nature. Ultimately for such a marquee (to use an American commercialism term) game I suspect that the club where never going to sell to supporters of the club, there is clearly a undercurrent at the Emirates that the club wants to have the stadium full of customers ie; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognvWIwjKTQ The Emirates of the future? It will be interesti...

PERSONALITY TEST

Played 23, 10 defeats, 4 draws and 9 victories; that's the factual bit out of the way. What does that tell us? I guess it is a set of statistics that reasonably reflect a mid table team. How we got here is something that countless column inches and hours of debate have gone into. How we move forward is the bigger question. Naturally, learning from past mistakes is a key element to moving forward but have Arsenal Football Club done that? Have Arsenal Football Club realised that a clear vision and plan is needed? When you look at the current squad its relatively easy to see where the strenghts are, and the weaknesses. The manager too, has strengths and weaknesses but one thing that is intangible is the personality of the club. Not so much "where are we" as "what are we?" To know what the club is is to know what the upper echelons think, what their plan and philosophy is and how the manager processes  that information. We can assume that the club decision makers wa...