Skip to main content

AGAINST ALL ODDS?



Manchester United came back from the dead to win the Champions League on a night of high drama at the Camp Nou. Liverpool came back from the dead to win the Champions League on a night of high drama. In Istanbul Chelsea came back from the dead to win the Champions League on a night of high drama in Munich.

The Arsenal, after a dramatic opening reduced us to 10 men, drew first blood in Paris but could not hold firm against Barca’s passing game. Our moment of glory in the ultimate club competition did not materialise. Are we one of those clubs who like Aston Villa had one shot and one shot only? How near have we been to that pinnacle since then?

For me the Champions League and our failure to maintain a realistic challenge is a bone of contention. Qualifying year on year is an achievement, that has to be said but the merits of qualifying for a tournament that we are nowhere near to winning can only be a matter of commerce.

I’m not envious of those English clubs that have reached the summit, I am jealous; there is a distinction. I’m jealous that we didn’t experience the drama and elation, I’m jealous of the feeling of triumph when the chips were down.

There was an Arsenal who gave that feeling; in Copenhagen, at Anfield, at Wembley at White Hart Lane and at Old Trafford, but that Arsenal seems a distant memory. An Arsenal that could beat the odds in a Champions League final seems like a myth now.

Watching another campaign creep out of the garage towards the highway of qualification from the first group stage, I don’t feel that our final destination will be Wembley, I feel we will break down yet again on Broken Dream Avenue.

I hope not and I would love to be proved wrong at the home of football.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons to be cheerful?

So November arrives with cold weather and grey skies. Arsenal sit in 2 nd place with a great chance to make progress in the Carling Cup with a home draw against wigan Athletic. Poised to win   our Champions league group and with six months of the season left have 3 of our five tougher away fixtures out of the way, having taken a respectable 4 from 9. I say respectable as, the Man City away trip aside the draw at Anfield on the occasion of Hodgson’s first game was a good result and the Chelsea game I don’t think anyone can really speak of any injustice. That leaves away games at Old Trafford and Sp*rs (who as we know raise their game for this fixture). With injured players gradually returning and the Polish goalkeepers showing signs of optimism, we’re in relatively good shape. Or so you’d think. Yesterday at the Emirates West Ham were put to the sword late on after some stout defending, a good performance from Robert Green and a couple of missed opportunities. The level of indign...

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark

A number of blogs are pointing out what was evident to me yesterday; as a season ticket holder and Silver member i like thousands of others made plans to purchase an additional ticket for the Barcelona game using the frustrating and irritating online service, but guess what? no joy, just lots of waiting finger tapping and watching the dreaded 'loading' bar (to make matters worse I had asked my missus to do this as I was doing training). But no one got these additional tickets, that is no supporters judging by the general feedback! It seems to me that the additional seats will have probably gone to customers of a corporate nature. Ultimately for such a marquee (to use an American commercialism term) game I suspect that the club where never going to sell to supporters of the club, there is clearly a undercurrent at the Emirates that the club wants to have the stadium full of customers ie; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognvWIwjKTQ The Emirates of the future? It will be interesti...

PERSONALITY TEST

Played 23, 10 defeats, 4 draws and 9 victories; that's the factual bit out of the way. What does that tell us? I guess it is a set of statistics that reasonably reflect a mid table team. How we got here is something that countless column inches and hours of debate have gone into. How we move forward is the bigger question. Naturally, learning from past mistakes is a key element to moving forward but have Arsenal Football Club done that? Have Arsenal Football Club realised that a clear vision and plan is needed? When you look at the current squad its relatively easy to see where the strenghts are, and the weaknesses. The manager too, has strengths and weaknesses but one thing that is intangible is the personality of the club. Not so much "where are we" as "what are we?" To know what the club is is to know what the upper echelons think, what their plan and philosophy is and how the manager processes  that information. We can assume that the club decision makers wa...