Skip to main content

High times and low lives

 
“Ego-maniac traitor, you never did understand
you fell in love with your ego, it did not fit into plan”
-Low life: Public Image Limited

It would be easy to pour derision and bile on Robin Van Persie; yet another captain to desert us. It would be easy enough to feel angered by the manoeuvring that made staying untenable. We Arsenal supporters are a long suffering bunch and we have an annual hate figure, or at least an annual figure to feel disappointed by.

Truth is that these situations go hand in hand with egomaniacal footballers who view success not just in terms of trophies but in how far they can take their saleability; their value as a commodity if you will.

Since 2005 we have lost five Captains Vieira, Henry, Gallas, Fabregas and Van Persie (in that same period Liverpool have had one captain) and that tells a story far more tangible than the convoluted and secretive reasons behind our assets being stripped. It tells the story of a club whose appointed leaders both on and off the field don’t have what it takes.

It’s tiresome that the Emirates has become the go to stadium for the home support to boo opposition players who we once supported. It’s not only tiresome but slightly embarrassing that so much energy is spent on bitterness as opposed to using that energy to get behind our team as we did against Sp*rs and Milan last season.

Its easy to forget that the good times of being a supporter are very good and that there is a lot to be said for bouncing back from adversity. The negativity towards all those ex-Gunners, can be counter productive

Of course I won’t be there next season so I suppose I’m due for some criticism, but I have never, in the decades I have been going to the Arsenal given less that my full energy to positively supporting our own players.

Having said that I can't escape the feeling that this departure is a bad one; an act of treachery.

So the vitriolic lyrics quoted above are not so much about feeling any sense of outrage about the machinations of the modern football world more a way of stating a supporters feeling about Van Persie, but moving on from it. I would say that on a personal note, as a supporter I feel that Van Persie is an egomaniac traitor but, much in the same way that I felt about Fabregas. They no longer play for Arsenal so I don’t care what they get up to.

Basically; fuck him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons to be cheerful?

So November arrives with cold weather and grey skies. Arsenal sit in 2 nd place with a great chance to make progress in the Carling Cup with a home draw against wigan Athletic. Poised to win   our Champions league group and with six months of the season left have 3 of our five tougher away fixtures out of the way, having taken a respectable 4 from 9. I say respectable as, the Man City away trip aside the draw at Anfield on the occasion of Hodgson’s first game was a good result and the Chelsea game I don’t think anyone can really speak of any injustice. That leaves away games at Old Trafford and Sp*rs (who as we know raise their game for this fixture). With injured players gradually returning and the Polish goalkeepers showing signs of optimism, we’re in relatively good shape. Or so you’d think. Yesterday at the Emirates West Ham were put to the sword late on after some stout defending, a good performance from Robert Green and a couple of missed opportunities. The level of indign...

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark

A number of blogs are pointing out what was evident to me yesterday; as a season ticket holder and Silver member i like thousands of others made plans to purchase an additional ticket for the Barcelona game using the frustrating and irritating online service, but guess what? no joy, just lots of waiting finger tapping and watching the dreaded 'loading' bar (to make matters worse I had asked my missus to do this as I was doing training). But no one got these additional tickets, that is no supporters judging by the general feedback! It seems to me that the additional seats will have probably gone to customers of a corporate nature. Ultimately for such a marquee (to use an American commercialism term) game I suspect that the club where never going to sell to supporters of the club, there is clearly a undercurrent at the Emirates that the club wants to have the stadium full of customers ie; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognvWIwjKTQ The Emirates of the future? It will be interesti...

PERSONALITY TEST

Played 23, 10 defeats, 4 draws and 9 victories; that's the factual bit out of the way. What does that tell us? I guess it is a set of statistics that reasonably reflect a mid table team. How we got here is something that countless column inches and hours of debate have gone into. How we move forward is the bigger question. Naturally, learning from past mistakes is a key element to moving forward but have Arsenal Football Club done that? Have Arsenal Football Club realised that a clear vision and plan is needed? When you look at the current squad its relatively easy to see where the strenghts are, and the weaknesses. The manager too, has strengths and weaknesses but one thing that is intangible is the personality of the club. Not so much "where are we" as "what are we?" To know what the club is is to know what the upper echelons think, what their plan and philosophy is and how the manager processes  that information. We can assume that the club decision makers wa...