Skip to main content

BEAUTY WINS THE DAY


Arsenal v Everton a much played fixture and yesterday’s wasn’t a classic. The game itself (following the birthday festivities) was very much a case of after the Lord Mayor’s parade, not helped by Everton’s negativity. In such games where chances are made but no one can quite deliver the coupe de grace it takes something special to take the spoils; and boy did we get something special, courtesy of Robin Van Persie. Our captain delivered the fatal blow courtesy of an exquisite finish from Song’s pass. A goal of beauty is a wonder to behold and this from our very own Dutch master would not look out of place in the Louvre.

 
The pre game atmosphere around the ground was boisterous. Singing and music bursting forth from the Eaglet. An expectant buzz in the Tollington and general merry making was the order of the day. It was my first match day visit to the Tollington and I must say that I found it most agreeable, principally due to the following
 
Good beer reasonably priced
Speedy service
Solid plastic glasses (as opposed to the thin bendy drink spillers that most pubs deal in)
Decent food
Outdoor heating

All pretty basic things but it’s surprising how often the match day experience is tarnished by lack of some of the above.  

I also saw one or two Arsenal bloggers; recognizable from their Vloggs and avatars. And, as is the case with people you’ve only seen via electronic means, they all looked slightly smaller than I thought; Haylet Wright looked possitively petite for example. The next time I go there I may even pluck up the gumption to say hello to my fellow Arsenal Bloggers and compliment them on their work. A kind word can often mean a lot.

And so I left the ground at the final whistle with Arsenal ensconced in fourth and the memory of a wonder goal to keep me warm.

Next home game a boxing day Derby. Without being superstitious; maybe if I go to The Tollington before I will see another wonder goal. Worth a try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons to be cheerful?

So November arrives with cold weather and grey skies. Arsenal sit in 2 nd place with a great chance to make progress in the Carling Cup with a home draw against wigan Athletic. Poised to win   our Champions league group and with six months of the season left have 3 of our five tougher away fixtures out of the way, having taken a respectable 4 from 9. I say respectable as, the Man City away trip aside the draw at Anfield on the occasion of Hodgson’s first game was a good result and the Chelsea game I don’t think anyone can really speak of any injustice. That leaves away games at Old Trafford and Sp*rs (who as we know raise their game for this fixture). With injured players gradually returning and the Polish goalkeepers showing signs of optimism, we’re in relatively good shape. Or so you’d think. Yesterday at the Emirates West Ham were put to the sword late on after some stout defending, a good performance from Robert Green and a couple of missed opportunities. The level of indign...

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark

A number of blogs are pointing out what was evident to me yesterday; as a season ticket holder and Silver member i like thousands of others made plans to purchase an additional ticket for the Barcelona game using the frustrating and irritating online service, but guess what? no joy, just lots of waiting finger tapping and watching the dreaded 'loading' bar (to make matters worse I had asked my missus to do this as I was doing training). But no one got these additional tickets, that is no supporters judging by the general feedback! It seems to me that the additional seats will have probably gone to customers of a corporate nature. Ultimately for such a marquee (to use an American commercialism term) game I suspect that the club where never going to sell to supporters of the club, there is clearly a undercurrent at the Emirates that the club wants to have the stadium full of customers ie; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognvWIwjKTQ The Emirates of the future? It will be interesti...

PERSONALITY TEST

Played 23, 10 defeats, 4 draws and 9 victories; that's the factual bit out of the way. What does that tell us? I guess it is a set of statistics that reasonably reflect a mid table team. How we got here is something that countless column inches and hours of debate have gone into. How we move forward is the bigger question. Naturally, learning from past mistakes is a key element to moving forward but have Arsenal Football Club done that? Have Arsenal Football Club realised that a clear vision and plan is needed? When you look at the current squad its relatively easy to see where the strenghts are, and the weaknesses. The manager too, has strengths and weaknesses but one thing that is intangible is the personality of the club. Not so much "where are we" as "what are we?" To know what the club is is to know what the upper echelons think, what their plan and philosophy is and how the manager processes  that information. We can assume that the club decision makers wa...