Skip to main content

EX FACTORS AND X FACTORS


A STATEMENT FROM ARSENALISM©

A lot of comments, posts and tweets have made mention of Adebayor going to Sp*rs, Nasri & Clichy going to City and Fabregas going to Barcelona. I say it’s time to stop talking about these EX players. I say it’s time to focus on the players we have. I have not been interested in the slightest about Fabregas’ endeavours at the Camp Nou; I don’t care. Not through any ill will or malice but I simply couldn’t give a monkeys. I am not bothered about whether Nasri is successful or fails; it’s not important. So Adebayor has signed for Looting Town. Who cares?

Ashley Cole is probably the last player that Arsenal fans unilaterally disliked for leaving, and this was because he was one of our better players and had been at the club from a young age. The fact that his behaviour was unsavoury and it involved deceit and ego just stoked the fires. In the end Cole achieved much more than he would have had he stayed, and in that sense the vitriol that was aimed at him was a way of masking the fact that he went on to success.

The current batch of ex players are insignificant in that they never really had our hearts, did they? Even Cesc; world class player though he is/was, never connected as Captain in the way that Vieira, Adams or McClintock did. I am not diminishing Cesc’s quality just saying that he is not an ex player that you carry in your emotional suitcase; no Dennis or Thierry. That’s why I don’t care what they get up to now.

And that’s the legacy of the Wenger ‘youth’ experiment; the majority gave us nothing other than just being professional footballers under contract at Arsenal Football club ( at some times not even that). With the current set of players it feels like we will get more, not necessarily in terms of trophies but in terms of feeling and caring about them. In terms of actual connection. All most of us want is a team that plays for the shirt, tries their hardest and actually wants to play for the club. Winning on Wednesday showed that some of the current line up will show that effort and will put in the sweat this season. That's what we want isnt it? The other stuff; the decison makers shortcomings are another matter.

It feels like these players refer to our club as THE Arsenal. That’s the difference. I'm not talking about replecating the Invincibles I'm talking about an Arsenal team that give a damn.

I could be wrong but it’s a feeling and that feeling is that, yes, the X factor that has been missing for so long. Feels like its back at The Arsenal.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons to be cheerful?

So November arrives with cold weather and grey skies. Arsenal sit in 2 nd place with a great chance to make progress in the Carling Cup with a home draw against wigan Athletic. Poised to win   our Champions league group and with six months of the season left have 3 of our five tougher away fixtures out of the way, having taken a respectable 4 from 9. I say respectable as, the Man City away trip aside the draw at Anfield on the occasion of Hodgson’s first game was a good result and the Chelsea game I don’t think anyone can really speak of any injustice. That leaves away games at Old Trafford and Sp*rs (who as we know raise their game for this fixture). With injured players gradually returning and the Polish goalkeepers showing signs of optimism, we’re in relatively good shape. Or so you’d think. Yesterday at the Emirates West Ham were put to the sword late on after some stout defending, a good performance from Robert Green and a couple of missed opportunities. The level of indign...

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark

A number of blogs are pointing out what was evident to me yesterday; as a season ticket holder and Silver member i like thousands of others made plans to purchase an additional ticket for the Barcelona game using the frustrating and irritating online service, but guess what? no joy, just lots of waiting finger tapping and watching the dreaded 'loading' bar (to make matters worse I had asked my missus to do this as I was doing training). But no one got these additional tickets, that is no supporters judging by the general feedback! It seems to me that the additional seats will have probably gone to customers of a corporate nature. Ultimately for such a marquee (to use an American commercialism term) game I suspect that the club where never going to sell to supporters of the club, there is clearly a undercurrent at the Emirates that the club wants to have the stadium full of customers ie; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognvWIwjKTQ The Emirates of the future? It will be interesti...

PERSONALITY TEST

Played 23, 10 defeats, 4 draws and 9 victories; that's the factual bit out of the way. What does that tell us? I guess it is a set of statistics that reasonably reflect a mid table team. How we got here is something that countless column inches and hours of debate have gone into. How we move forward is the bigger question. Naturally, learning from past mistakes is a key element to moving forward but have Arsenal Football Club done that? Have Arsenal Football Club realised that a clear vision and plan is needed? When you look at the current squad its relatively easy to see where the strenghts are, and the weaknesses. The manager too, has strengths and weaknesses but one thing that is intangible is the personality of the club. Not so much "where are we" as "what are we?" To know what the club is is to know what the upper echelons think, what their plan and philosophy is and how the manager processes  that information. We can assume that the club decision makers wa...