Skip to main content

SUMMER HOLIDAY


I'm not going to do an end of season review as this will be done all across the Blogverse. Instead I am taking an end of season break in the sun.

During this time I shall not be commenting on or reading about the summer silly season of rumour, conjecture and invective. If Arsenal do add to the squad, which in my view is essential, it will be at the eleventh hour as always, and therefore there's no point building up hopes on a daily basis. Nor will I be checking my iPhone whilst basking.

When I see the squad photo for the 2011/12 season I will make some judgements on what to expect for the coming campaign.
Until then I shall attempt to cocoon myself from false optimism at the thought of David Villa lining up alongside Ribery, Helgeland and Buffon at the Emirates with a bionically enhanced VanPersie.

Such despicable individuals as Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Lennon, Lampard and Shawcrossesq thugs that will be included in the squad, make following England in the world cup untenable. To see those arrogant oafs do well will be of no pleasure at all. Hopefully there will not be the ‘get stuck in’ attitude that has held back English football. If England can actually entertain and win it will make things almost bearable. But in all honesty I will be looking to enjoy some great tournament football from a variety of teams and hoping that Arsenal's representatives don't get broken legs, ankles and hearts.

Final thoughts.
Arsenal are the third best team in a poor league and our final position can't really be argued with. We are also in Europe’s top ten. We need a new goalkeeper. Wenger needs to make some additions in the summer. Injuries at the club need to be investigated. We need to compete for both domestic cup competitions.
'The wonder of you ' needs to be ditched. We need stronger pint glasses at the Emirates bars. Arsenalisation of the stadium should continue. Live broadcasts at the ground need to have a capacity limit. The Che is still a great summer pre/post match pub and the match programme must improve. I fully expect that with the right changes Arsenal can add a trophy next season if we focus on everything. After all, win first and the rest will follow. The big but though is does Wenger feel the same?
When reflecting on the season I have to reflect on the five years of trophylessness and an analagy I would make is

"The last five years we have gone from watching the Beatles at The London Palladium to watching The Bootleg Beatles at The O2 Arena."

.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0phJGVh1mM0

wellyousaythat will continue over the summer should you be feeling deprived of missives.
There will also be a Summer interseason quiz next month

http://wellyousaythat.blogspot.com/



See you all next season

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons to be cheerful?

So November arrives with cold weather and grey skies. Arsenal sit in 2 nd place with a great chance to make progress in the Carling Cup with a home draw against wigan Athletic. Poised to win   our Champions league group and with six months of the season left have 3 of our five tougher away fixtures out of the way, having taken a respectable 4 from 9. I say respectable as, the Man City away trip aside the draw at Anfield on the occasion of Hodgson’s first game was a good result and the Chelsea game I don’t think anyone can really speak of any injustice. That leaves away games at Old Trafford and Sp*rs (who as we know raise their game for this fixture). With injured players gradually returning and the Polish goalkeepers showing signs of optimism, we’re in relatively good shape. Or so you’d think. Yesterday at the Emirates West Ham were put to the sword late on after some stout defending, a good performance from Robert Green and a couple of missed opportunities. The level of indign...

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark

A number of blogs are pointing out what was evident to me yesterday; as a season ticket holder and Silver member i like thousands of others made plans to purchase an additional ticket for the Barcelona game using the frustrating and irritating online service, but guess what? no joy, just lots of waiting finger tapping and watching the dreaded 'loading' bar (to make matters worse I had asked my missus to do this as I was doing training). But no one got these additional tickets, that is no supporters judging by the general feedback! It seems to me that the additional seats will have probably gone to customers of a corporate nature. Ultimately for such a marquee (to use an American commercialism term) game I suspect that the club where never going to sell to supporters of the club, there is clearly a undercurrent at the Emirates that the club wants to have the stadium full of customers ie; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognvWIwjKTQ The Emirates of the future? It will be interesti...

PERSONALITY TEST

Played 23, 10 defeats, 4 draws and 9 victories; that's the factual bit out of the way. What does that tell us? I guess it is a set of statistics that reasonably reflect a mid table team. How we got here is something that countless column inches and hours of debate have gone into. How we move forward is the bigger question. Naturally, learning from past mistakes is a key element to moving forward but have Arsenal Football Club done that? Have Arsenal Football Club realised that a clear vision and plan is needed? When you look at the current squad its relatively easy to see where the strenghts are, and the weaknesses. The manager too, has strengths and weaknesses but one thing that is intangible is the personality of the club. Not so much "where are we" as "what are we?" To know what the club is is to know what the upper echelons think, what their plan and philosophy is and how the manager processes  that information. We can assume that the club decision makers wa...